Thursday, January 14, 2010

Crystal Tree Project





Here are the first pictures for our crystal 'trees'. Take 1 tablespoon of Mrs. Stewarts bluiing, 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of water and 1/2 tablespoon of amonia and mix them all together. Be very careful as the bluing is super blue. Anything it touches will turn blue in my experience, you may even want to do this project outside. I spilled a little directly in my sink and their is still a little blue where I tried to wash it out.

My suggestion is to use a disposable babyfood jar or some other disposable container to mix the ingredients in. Also use a dish that you don't care about as I think I have ruined my saucer with this project.

Personally I like to reuse anything possible so I used a water bottle and the cardboard from the paper towel roll. That just left the plate, I made the mistake of using a good one, next time I will go to a garage sale and get a cheap disposable one for this type of project. Next I cut the papertowel roll into the shapes. I thought I would try to make a heart for valentines day, but it did not turn out very well, we will see after it grows how well it works. I also made a tree for the second item.

These crystal formations are supposed to grow over about a weeks time depending on the level of humidity in your house, unfortunately we have a storm coming in on Sunday, so this was not an ideal time to start this project. Hopefully it will still work. Make sure to place your finished project in a place where it will not be disturbed.

Check back for results---

No comments:

Post a Comment